Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Stamping Stories & Stamp Chat

Old 12-13-2011
Angels are all around us.

Christmas dinner

What is everyone cooking for Christmas dinner??

What are your holiday plans?? Lets chat. Thank you,

Trudy
Old 12-14-2011
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
My daughter is coming home from Oregon and the three of us are going to my cousin's for dinner. I hope it snows but there is only a 40% chance of a white Christmas.
Old 12-15-2011
Super Contributor!

Our tradition is to have a sirloin tip roast, mash potatoes, green beans, cresent rolls, and a carrot cake! My crew ( all guys ) doesn't like a lot of fancy stuff, just plain food. My 2 grown sons will be with us. One lives with us and the other lives 2 miles from us. We will go to church and then have our meal for lunch. I hope everyone has a very Merry and blessed Christmas!

Stampwilly
Old 12-15-2011
homeschmomof4

Send a message via Yahoo to JeanneLee
We are heading to Ohio, its a family tradition for us!(the only year we missed is the year DD was born...January 10th!) As the kids get older its harder and harder to get them together, but our two oldest are going to drive out and follow us out next week. They can only get Friday and that Monday off. So DD is driving her car and oldest DS is sharing the ride. My in-laws are thrilled even for a weekend of getting to see them. We will be in Ohio till after New Years.

My MIL always makes ham/turkey with all the faves for dinner. We get there in time to help peel, cut-up, mix-up, mash, do dishes and whatever she needs us to do.

I bought a Wilton's gingerbread tree kit to make on Christmas day...we started that as a tradition a few year ago!(we made the house last year)

Have a wonderful Christmas with your families!
Old 12-15-2011
Super Contributor!

This will be the first time in 3 years that I have had both Christmas Eve and the day off, so it is going to be a nice relaxing stay at home Christmas for us. I am asking everyone what their favorite food is and then I will put together a buffet of those favs so that we can "graze" all day. We can all stay in our pj's and watch movies, play with our gifts, and just enjoy family time. DebRN
Old 12-15-2011
Super Contributor!

Smile

Just Mom & me for dinner. We're going to have a well-glazed (canned) ham, mom's fabulous baked macaroni & (6) cheeses, baked limas, cole slaw, cucumbers & onions in sour cream & flakey bisquits. We'll probably have the usual pickles, olives, artichoke hearts to nibble as well.

Oyster stew was always our Christmas Eve supper. I have two packs of oysters in the freezer. Might see if mom's interested. I'd use one for the stew & fry the others. 'Course I'll end up eating all the mollusks 'cause mom only likes the 'taste' of oysters--not the actual oyster.

Christmas Eve will see us lighting the bayberry candles for the 62nd time in my life. They will burn down to the socket to bring joy to our home & money to our pocket...
Old 12-15-2011
Super Contributor!

Do please give me the recipe for your oyster stew! I LOVE oysters, but they have to be steamed(garlic,butter,hot sauce and parsley) or cooked on the bbq for me to eat them.No raw oysters for me!! Did that once and that was enough! About thirty years ago, I ordered Oysters on the Half Shell and had no clue they were raw.I said, "Oh, these look interesting" (my six year old niece was sitting next to me so I didn't want to sound negative to her) she asked if she could try one and then proceded to eat them all-6!! I smiled at her while she downed those slimy little sea creatures!! The one I ate raw was at an Oyster and Steak feed.They undercooked the oysters so I only ate the steak.
Old 12-15-2011
Super Contributor!

We will be at my brother and sils house(they live on the farm two minutes away) along with about 32 of her family members so the total will be about 40 peple.I am bringing baked Brie with carmelized pears on top and garlic olives.The noise will be deafening I am sure. Christmas day will be at my mother's home or at mine.It will be a very quiet dinner only 9 people

Last edited by JulieB.T.; 12-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2011
Super Contributor!

My nephew has been in Ecquador for the last month and will be home on the 23rd. On Christmas eve, we all go to church. Mom and dad have to sing in all 3 services. My sister and her family come to the last one. Then we go to my mom's and have cold cuts and cheese balls and stuff. We open presents so that the families can celebrate Christmas morning with their kids. My great niece tuned one yesterday, and Wesley is 2 !/2, so it will be fun. On Christmas day mom, dad and I go to my cousin Dan and Cheryl's and their daughter comes from Richmond, Va. Dan fixes us delicious prime rib. This year i don't plan to go into the hospital the next day. Hope all of you enjoy having families home.
Old 12-16-2011
Super Contributor!

Daniel, Six cheeses in your macaroni. YUM!
Old 12-16-2011
yankee

My family doesn't care what I serve for Christmas dinner, as long as there are a hundred or more cookies and all their favorites. So that is where I put my efforts.
Old 12-16-2011
Super Contributor!

Smile

I soooo hear you 'bout the cookies, Yankee. Mom would start planning how many old & new cookies she wanted to do in late Nov. After T-Day she'd go into cookie-baking mode. The ones like hermits & fruitcake bars that benefited with age were first. The last ones were always the sugar cookies.

At 87, mom just can't do them anymore. I know that makes her a little sad, but she's honest with herself. That said, however, she wants to make her popcorn balls & bake bread. I'll help her, of course. I put in for a vacation day for thursday. Might surprise mom & pick out 1 or 2 cookies we could bake that day. Definitely pecan crescents! Might be my Christmas gift to her.

Julie. Mom's oyster stew recipe is super simple... Drain the oysters & reserve the liquor (strain to avoid any sand or shell). Combine 1 can of condensed milk & 2 cans of 'bottle' milk with the oyster liquor & heat gently. Season the base with a pinch of nutmeg & cayenne. Add the oysters & heat until they are plump. Just before serving add good butter to the stew. Serve with oyster crackers that have been toasted in the oven (not the microwave). Do not use black pepper as it will overpower the cayenne & nutmeg & be light on the salt--oysters have a natural brineyness.
Old 12-16-2011
Super Contributor!

Thanks so much Daniel!
Old 12-17-2011
Super Contributor!

All of this is making me hungry! I know everyone will have a wonderful Christmas!

Stampwilly
Old 12-17-2011
Super Contributor!

Just to clarify, your "bottled milk" is actually oyster juice that comes in a bottle? I have seen clam juice in a bottle but not oyster juice. Maybe it is more of an Eastcoast thing. Are the oysters that you drain, fresh or in a can? I have only had the fresh ones.ALthough, I have had smoked oysters and love them! I do try to save the juice/liquor when I am opening them.Do you thicken the broth with anything? This sounds more like a soup to me.Is that right? I was thinking it had alot of things in it like onions,celery and potatoes.