Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > General Forum Info > Stamp Challenges

Old 11-20-2012
Administrator

GREAT. Love the Friendship theme and color choice...but with one addition... in order to incorporate Sharon's though of vintage photos, we should add Sepia as a highlight color.

I'll investigate a private web page as well as contact Stamper's Sampler and maybe another publisher to double check on "pre-published" work.

FYI, here are some cards that we had on the JudiKins convention displays. This ensemble of cards generated a ton of interest. EVERYTHING else in our booth was colorful (which will be the case in the magazines as well). The contrast of a monochromatic color theme caught everyone's eye.

Great brainstorming gang!! Feb 28 is a nice block of time... Shall we get started??

OOXX Judi
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012
Super Contributor!

group submission

Just wanted to give a few comments to the last couple posts, starting with Daniel's excellent "push forward" (wtg Daniel for accelerating the decision process):
I pasted part of his email here:

1. publication: Stampers' Sampler'. We all agree, yes?

2. theme: 'Friendship' -- I like this; very general. Can everyone else 'deal'?

3. color scheme. Black & White with color. (Actually, I would prefer to give people a choice between b/w or sepia toned photo with whatever accent color they want. Then the mag can group them as best as they can -- presuming they like it, of course. Does anyone else agree?)

4. submission deadline: projects being mailed to Judikins by February 28.

5. use only Posh &/or Judikins stamps. (Ideally, this would be great, but as we don't know if everyone already has m/any of these, perhaps we should say that a major part of the stamps used should be Posh/Judikins. Judi herself seemed to be okay with that in the beginning. Comments?)

It's great that this is advancing! We just need everyone's opinion. Also, perhaps we should set a deadline for deciding whether you are 'in' or not -- some folks were possibly interested but not committed yet. Or even a maximum number of participants (10 or 12: first come, first served)? I don't know how CP usually does this, so I'll let someone else handle it. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

S
Old 11-20-2012
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
1. Stampers' Sampler is good, I've never been published there before.

2. & 3. I think the theme should be the color scheme. I like the black and white with one color and I think each person should pick their color so we all don't do the same color. Without a theme such as Friendship, Celebrations etc., you can basically do whatever you want and the color scheme will pull it all together. I personally am not overly fond of the photo idea. I really don't want to work with one but if the majority wants to use photos, I'll come up with something.

4. February 28 is good for deadline.

5. I think the focal stamp should be Posh or Judikins.

Since the projects are being mailed in February, we could probably give people until the end of the year to sign up.
Old 11-20-2012
Super Contributor!

We're using photos with the stamps? I'm not wild about that either. But I am definitly in.
Old 11-21-2012
Super Contributor!

Hi Winsrella and everyone,

You don't have to use real photos. It should just be a vintage or retro image, photocopied or otherwise. Actually, we haven't all necessarily agreed on this, it was just a suggestion that some people said they liked. Maybe we should say ephemera instead of vintage photo. The thing to remember is in any group of people, it will be hard to please everyone 100%. I was trying to get excited about doing something in gray or black and white, so I suggested using b/w photos as a compromise. Now it appears that a number of people don't like the photo idea. I think we need to at least choose a unifying idea (in addition to the theme of friendship, which is good, but very vague) that would visually tie our group's cards together. The Stampers Sampler's goal is to produce a magazine with good layouts of stamped artwork -- priority is given to projects that look good on a page next to each other. It could be that our styles work well together, or it might be that our art doesn't look good on the page together and the SS won't use it.

I would like to think that we can all be mature and admit that we need to compromise in some area. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, consider this a challenge; a challenge is something that may push the boundaries of your comfort zone. Let's try to resist grumbling "I don't like this or that" and instead react by replying with a positive suggestion ("what do you think about this idea instead?") so as to avoid offending anyone. I also like to think that as the "instigator" of this idea, I might be permitted to make some of the definitive choices if there seems to be indecision among the others, as long as Judi is okay with it. The main reason I made it so open to decision is that I'm new and I don't know people's styles or preferences yet. Although I don't want to seem bossy, I still like to think that as the initiator, I might have a bit of a final say in the matter in order to resolve any nit-picking.

Also, remember that this appears to be just a first submission for the group; nothing implies that it will be the last. Just as with swaps, anyone can suggest another idea for a future submission.

Lastly, if a person dislikes one or more of the underlying requirements of this enough that they can't deal with it, there is certainly no obligation to submit. If you have a very specific idea in mind already that doesn't jibe with this one (which I completely understand), then you have a much better chance of being chosen on the basis of an individual submission.
Old 11-21-2012
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Well!!! I am just plain tickled that we are continuing to make real headway with setting up the submission guidelines! And absolutely love that Judi has been a presence in our discussion.

LOL, Sharon! I find nothing offensive in any of your posts. Heaven knows our Club has lots of 'strong' personalities in its membership. While that can make things 'interesting', we all were fetched up with good manners, so we shouldn't have problems on that score. And I completely agree that as the 'instigator' you have the 'right' to make decisions. You're doing fine by me so far!

Speaking of the 'score'... Looks like we have 2 decisions done. Mag will be 'SS' & items will be in the mail to Judikins on or before Feb. 28.

I suggest we next tackle 'theme' & 'color' with a heavy nod to project element(s).

Theme

Both of my previous suggestions--Celebrations & Friendship--were meant to be 'vague'. Frankly I am leery of choosing a theme that doesn't leave me 'wiggle room'. If this were an 'ordinary' challenge, I could simply look over the guidelines & decide whether or not to join. But this is not an ordinary challenge. As Sharon & Judi point out, we have to consider what SS is going to find worthy of publication viz-a-viz our 'group' and couple that with 'something' that makes CP special for those of us who are members. Perhaps we could play with the idea of promoting members as friends? That might put a special spin on what we create.

Elements

Without being negative, I'm among those who are only so-so on photos (real or other) in my projects, but I dearly love ephemera. If we agree that photos are included in the category of ephemera, that would be cool by me. It would allow each of to decide whether to include photo elements or not, but require us to employ ephemera (paper, ribbon, lace, etc.) in our submissions along with stamped images &/or sentiments.

Color

I'm a fan of the faded browns, tans & ecrus that lots of ephemera acquires with age. That includes not just photos & paper items, but also fabrics & more. I would be very interested in using the sepia 'family' as the primary for our color scheme & couple it with other 'faded' colors of our individual choosing. Tea stain with mauve & blue grey? Sepia with dusty rose & dried lavender? I love the concept of faded elegance. I would keep black as stamping color, but eliminate both it & white as color for the project.

Hmmm. Just thot of a name/theme I like... "Aged In Would"

Last edited by Daniel; 11-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2012
Super Contributor!

I am certainly mature and have no problem with compromise. Whatever is decided upon, I will be more than happy to join in with my interpritation. Sounds fun . . . and challanges are fun. Looking forward to the final guidelines.

Last edited by winsrella; 11-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2012
Angels are all around us.

Just found this thread, alot of food for thought here

Trudy
Old 11-22-2012
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
This is why they say that too many cooks spoil the broth. We need one chef, that would be you Sharon, to decide on a recipe. Since this was your idea and you've been published in the magazine before, I'm sure you know what they like. Write up some guidelines and those that like them can sign up and those that don't can wait for another time. I'm adaptable and can usually come up with something for any challenge.

It's Thanksgiving morning, my daughter is hogging the shower, I have $42 worth of fruit to cut up, find something presentable to wear, dealing with drug side effects and waiting for my daily headache to kick in so if I've annoyed anyone with my post I'm sorry. We are a diverse group of stampers with different tastes and styles and I doubt we're ever going to completely agree on anything so for this venture, I think we should go with whatever Sharon wants.
Old 11-22-2012
Super Contributor!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy N. View Post
This is why they say that too many cooks spoil the broth. We need one chef, that would be you Sharon, to decide on a recipe. Since this was your idea and you've been published in the magazine before, I'm sure you know what they like. Write up some guidelines and those that like them can sign up and those that don't can wait for another time. I'm adaptable and can usually come up with something for any challenge...
I concur, Kathy. Much as Sharon might wish to include suggestions & ask for a consensus, I too believe we can spend way too much time on getting all the details down.

I am more than comfortable with having Sharon grit her teeth & come up with the guidelines for her challenge. Once she does that--theme, color(s), project type(s)--we can all decide whether this is a challenge we can/want to join.

Pardon a small 'chuckle'... In one of her recent posts, Sharon mentioned a group 'number'--10-12. If her challenge gets even 10 CP members (doesn't include the Judikins gals) committed to doing this challenge, I'll shave off my beard! The mustache stays!
Old 11-22-2012
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Kathy, I understand completely medicine is the pits but we need them at times. It took me several hours to get out all of the names for the Secret Santa swap because of continuing back problems. Feel better soon and it's just like a child to hog all of the hot water and time in the shower, at least that's how it was in my house. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.......the flower child
Old 11-24-2012
Super Contributor!

I am happy to do whatever the chief decides! LOL! Or we could be going on with the details forever. Thanks for the idea of a group effort and I can't wait to start working on it.

Stampwilly
Old 11-25-2012
Super Contributor!

Hi Gang,

Sharon here. I changed my user name to The Shermanator because I noticed there are 4 Sharons in the member roster!

I guess everyone has gotten over their turkey hangovers by now and is back on line. Thanks for your votes of confidence in this submission. To get to the point quickly (as I've procrastinated planning my lessons for tomorrow and I have a ____load of papers to grade), here is where we seem to be in our decision:

Magazine: Stampers Sampler
Theme: Friendship is the overriding theme. I would hesitate to have a double theme (i.e. Friendship and Celebrations) going because it would affect cohesion. I'm open to changing it to Celebrations if everyone wants to, but if we did that, I think it would be appropriate to make it geared to Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years because of our deadline. (As the mag collects artwork for 6 months in advance of publication date, that would mean that we could easily be absorbed into a Nov/Dec issue.)

Unifying elements:
    • ephemera -- including photos if desired. As for embellishments, use whatever looks good or is appropriate, but don't go overboard on "foof"! (I do have a friend who has sent in artwork 3 times that didn't get published, and I have a feeling that it's too busy with rhinestones and bows.)
    • Judikins/Posh stamps

Unifying Color: If we choose ephemera, I agree with Daniel's idea of "using the sepia 'family' as the primary for our color scheme & couple it with other 'faded' colors of our individual choosing".

If everyone was excited about making cards, that would also be a unifying factor; the fact that this does not seem to be the case might be an advantage or it may be a disadvantage -- I guess we'll find out! Anyway, because of this factor, it will be extra important to stick to our guidelines.

Daniel mentioned that we need to think about what makes CP special for members. I think that just the fact that it is an online group with members all over the country and beyond is enough; the Posh/Judikins history adds interest to it. The main thing is that we stick to our guidelines so that SS thinks it will look good on their pages.

Daniel, what exactly did you mean when you said "Perhaps we could play with the idea of promoting members as friends?" Is this an idea for the accompanying text?

Y'all have a good week!

sharon
Old 11-25-2012
Administrator

Hola gang. I turned into a Wobbly Gobbley this weekend (translation: an overstuffed slug on the sofa) and have just turned on the computer.

Great dialog here!!

Sharon, THANK YOU for summarizing. So the next step is to simplify the Challenge Guidelines and generate a new thread which can be titled Magazine Submission Group Challenge Feb 2013 or something like that. I can help with this if you need it.

FYI I received word from Stamper's Sampler and they said it's ok to post photos of projects to websites as long as they are not other Online Publications.

I had also asked DRG (now Annie's Publication) CardMaker Mag about their thoughts on a group submission. They really liked the idea too, so we can put this on a "Challenge to do" for the future.

Okee dokee...let's get started!
Old 11-26-2012
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Shermanator? LOL! 'Tanks', Sharon!

Long as we're not 'too rigid' about how we define a 'card', I figure all of us Poshies will have no problem with doing submissions going that route.

I like the idea of going 'ephermera' (including photos as a possibility) & totally agree that we should watch the 'foof' factor. (that's a new word for me!--Love it!) .

Far as I'm concerned? The stampier our submissions; the better. After all, our club is a group of stampers first & foremost.

I'm comfortable with keeping the overall theme 'friends', but we might tweak it if you (Sharon) feel it needs to be less generic. One way we might do that would be to gear our 'friendship' cards to those friends we've not met IRL, but know & treasure from contact on CP. Not sure how that could work, but might be fun to use that as part of our challenge.

I'm super cool with using 'sepia tones' as the primary color & keeping additional colors a bit soft/faded. I have lots of DI colors that will fit the bill, but for those who don't? We can always 'fade' our bright colors by using the 2nd or third generation when we stamp. KWIM?

Judi! Great news that we can share our submissions here @ CP. Since none of us will be guaranteed publication, it will be wonderful to see what we've all done. Interesting about 'Annie's'. Once we pull off this 'for publication' challenge (not 'if') we have another place to go in the future.

Looking forward to seeing Sharon set up the 'official' thread for this, but I'm willing to commit to submitting based on the 'facts' so far.

Who's with me?