Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Stamping Stories & Stamp Chat

Old 07-09-2013
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
I wish it would rain already and get rid of this humidity. We're supposed to get storms tomorrow.

Spent the morning vacuuming both upstairs and down. Hopefully I can get to stamping my seasonal tag this afternoon.

Frank went down to Brigantine, near Atlantic City, to golf today and he's going to spend the night at the Taj Mahal in AC so I'll just have a microwave girlie meal for dinner. Some of the Healthy Choice meals are really good.
Old 07-09-2013
Inky Fingers

Question Want Rain???

If you want rain, Kathy, I'll send you some. Yesterday started out hot, humid, and sunny, but by about 5 p.m. all @#&* broke loose and we got a sudden torrential rain and thunderstorm which lasted for several hours. Our power went off for 6 hours in our area of the city. We had candles lit all over the house. It's amazing how much we rely on electricity. All in all, over 300,000 people were without power and some have just had it restored now. We set a record as we got 4 1/2 inches of rain in two hours, flooding underpasses, main roadways and lots of basements. A commuter train started filling up with water as the tracks were in deep water and the firemen had to rescue hundreds of passengers through windows and into inflatable rafts. The subways came to a halt, many still in tunnels, and the passengers had to walk through the tunnels to get out. What a mess!!! Today we just got a few sprinkles, but more rain is on the way for tomorrow. Hasn't been much of a summer so far. It's still humid but it's supposed to ease up by the weekend when the temperatures cool down a bit.

Janet
Old 07-09-2013
Super Contributor!

Holy raindrops Janet! Is this normal for your area at this time of year? Nothing is too good in extreme though.
Old 07-09-2013
Super Contributor!

I'll send you rain ,thats all we have here,water ,water everywhere,farmers can't get wheat off,it's rained every day for well over a almost 2 weeks ,down pours sometimes of 2 to 4 inches.
Old 07-09-2013
yankee

My power was off for an hour (seemed much longer). The daughter in law just picked up the grandsons and I went to go to the library, power went out. I phoned elec co (phone on elect so i used old rotory phone) and recording said about 2 hours. I went to leave, garage door wouldnt open. So I went to play with iPad and the roter is electric.
You are so correct about forgetting how many thing are electric!!!!!!
Put my swin suit on and went and sat in the wadding pool, house got every hot very fast. It went from 80 to 86 in an hour and took 3 hours to cool back down. It was 113 yesterday.
Old 07-09-2013
Inky Fingers

Sounds like the weather is crazy in lots of places.

To answer your question, Julie......no........this weather is NOT normal for here. We got more rain yesterday than Toronto had during Hurricane Hazel which I understand took place here in the 1950's (before we moved here). It was supposed to rain a bit today, but we just got a few sprinkles. Tomorrow or overnight or both, we may get another thunderstorm. What a difference from last summer!

As of right now, 50,000 people are without power, and we've been asked to turn off any unnecessary electrical items so as not to overload the grid when the power does go back on all over. We even turned off our a/c and it's very humid. Feel like sitting in the car with the a/c running. LOL.

Janet
Old 07-10-2013
Super Contributor!

Yikes Yankee!!! Dunk your pretty head so you don't get overheated!! I understand that it is VERY important to cool your head also not just your face, neck, arms etc. when it gets very hot. Of course you need to drink lots of water to keep your innards cool too I know you know all of the tricks for staying cool. I don't see how you handle day after day of 100+ degrees temps. where you are. The past two Julys we have not had our 106-110 degrees temps.in the middle of the month that were the norm forever before. For the next ten days we are having 100(today)-98 till the 19th so we will still have time for some really hot temps. I hope we don't get them. We DO need the 90-95 for the crops to grow, but I can pass on the 100+ days. Another good reason to lost weight as those of us that are overweight get overheated VERY easily and have a hard time cooling down. Hells Bells , I sure as heck don't want it to say on my obit. that she died from being an overheated chick!! LOL!!! My neighbor said I could take my dog next door and go swimming in his pool while my 10 year old Lab and his 3 month old Brindle Boxer play with each other. I think I may have told you all this, but I bought the bottom to a suit from Lands' End(didn't realize the top did not come with it so it is in the mail) so until I get the top I will wear a tank top! You do what you gotta do, right? No one is going to be sneaking a peak at me anyway!!!
Old 07-10-2013
Super Contributor!

Amazing Dekamay!! Sounds like many of you are getting too much rain for your areas. We normally only have a few showers during the summer. Enough to wet the ground, maybe some thunder and lightening but not much rain. I think maybe 1 inch for the whole summer is average. The Central Valley of California is naturally a desert. We have turned it into the bread basket of the world by having reservoirs/dams, canals and irrigation. Let's face it, if it did rain like you all have, the tomatoes, hay, beans, squash, fruit /nut trees and everything else would rot in this heat. Not good, so I guess there is a reason we don't get a lot of rain during the summer here. We have the Sierra Nevada Mountains about 2 hours above us so that is where we get all our snow/water.I hope your AC keeps working ! We had an extra hot June so I know our bill will be much higher Our bill was 154.oo which is about twice as much as it should be. About normal for the summer though. We have a 2000sq.ft.house fully insulated twice in 23 years facing south ,trees on the west side with no windows and I always keep the shutters closed and lights off during the day. Every bit helps and I do hate paying lots of money for electricity!

Last edited by JulieB.T.; 07-10-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2013
Super Contributor!

We keep getting threatened with severe storms but then none show up. Rain already and get rid of this humidity.

Got my seasonal tag for April, May and June done today and will get mailed sometime this week.
Old 07-11-2013
Super Contributor!

Just wanted you all to know that I got my first check for my antique booth and it was 225.00!!!! Yiipppeee!!! I am sooo excited! Of course my hubby was especially happy to get my goodies out of the house! I brought in lots of Depression glass items(pink) so it is looking very pretty right now. Soon, I will have everything out of my storage unit. Maybe this weekend I will clear it out. Thanks to all of you for your support!
Old 07-12-2013
Super Contributor!

Wish I had some antiques to sell. I don't think anyone would want my husband.

Good luck with selling the rest of your antiques Julie and buy something nice for yourself with the money.
Old 07-12-2013
Super Contributor!

Today, I found out I have made 115. so far for the month of July! I think I am feeling the antique bug again! I have wasted sooo much money these past 9 1/2 years by keeping my stuff in storage that I would feel guilty using it for anything other than paying it towards the house bills! It is nice to see people still like old treasures! P.S. You need to keep your favorite antiques KathyN. Hehehe!
Old 07-13-2013
Super Contributor!

He's my only antique Julie.

Think I'm going to spend this afternoon mounting rubber on EZ mount and cutting it out.
Old 07-13-2013
yankee

Julie, think how happy you made the people who got the antiques feel! So happiness all around, for you and them.
Old 07-14-2013
Super Contributor!

I know, yankee, that's what makes selling my things easier. It's always been a great feeling for me to see that someone else like my goodies! I feel my house getting lighter!! Oh, joy!!!