Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > General Forum Info > Stamp Challenges

Old 05-01-2017
Super Contributor!

May 2017 Monthly Challenge

Thanks to all who did the April Monthly Challenge! All the cards were great! We Do have a winner to announce. It is gingerbaby!!!!!! Congrats! Wendy will be sending you the prize this month.

Now onto the new challenge for May. The theme is Distress. Please make a tag or card and distress it. You can do that by tearing edges of paper, sponging the edges of your paper, splatting ink over your work, etc. Anything to make your project look old -- shabby chic! Please use at least one stamped image on your card, not just a saying. If you use Judikins or a Posh stamp you will be in the drawing twice. I will be giving an RAK to a lucky random winner!

I hope you will have fun with this. You have until the last day of May to play. I can't wait to see what you make.

April
Old 05-02-2017
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Congratulation! Brooke. I'll get on this right away. Great theme for this challenge April.....the flower child
Old 05-09-2017
Super Contributor!

I hope to see some cards for this challenge soon! Have a good day everyone!

April
Old 05-21-2017
Super Moderator

Okay here is my offering. I usually don't do well in challenges they make me too nervous but my word is my word.....the flower child

Kraft cardstock
Main focal stamped on manilla tag main focal image is from Judi-Kins 2435G stamped with black onyx versa-fine ink. tore the tag used Tim Holtz distress oxides in fossilized amber, spiced marmalade for torn edges I used vintage the words I used spiced marmalade oxide ink sprayed with water for a blending and I must say they blend so well.the background paper is from Prima I used vintage photo oxide on that button is from Maya Road. I hope I passed thee challenge
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2017
Super Contributor!

Lois, you did a great job and great distressing! No need to be nervous. Thanks so much for stepping out of your comfort zone and just doing it!

April
Old 05-22-2017
Super Moderator

Thank you April, your right that's what a challenge is stepping out of our comfort zone. It's helps us to grow. I had fun tho. I was waiting for my inks to arrive or I would have done it sooner.....the flower child
Old 05-22-2017
Administrator

Blossom GREAT Job!! You're too hard on yourself. This is a nice example of distressed!!
Old 05-23-2017
yankee

Nice job, Blossom.

Last edited by yankee; 05-23-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2017
Administrator

One form of distressing tips

Hi Gang...in an attempt to encourage a few other submissions...here's a couple fun things that MaryJo McGraw taught me when she designed these stamps. They're called Esponge Noir which means black sponge and the images look like granite or stone carvings. When stamped in different colors of ink and wet with water, the ink smears and blends to create a "distressed" watercolored effect. You'll see how she tore the paper and yes...metallic markers and inks are always a terrific addition to bling the torn edges. The best part is this is "sloppy" stamping and we can all do this!!
  1. Stamp image with orange ink. Wet with water. Let dry.
  2. Repeat by stamping image with magenta ink and try to overlap as close to original stamped image as possible. It still looks ok if offset as much as 1/8 inch.
  3. Continue with 3rd color and best if a dark color. I used Dark Brown here. I added a little blue by tipping the wet paint brush onto a light blue ink pad.
  4. Finally stamp frame design and cut out frame. Layer the frame over face image. Stamp other images onto frame using like colors. Sometimes a chalky ink or pigment ink works great to add depth.
  5. This is the actual card that MaryJo stamped. She's really an expert at coloring.
Old 05-24-2017
Super Moderator

Sheila thank you!....the flower child
Old 05-24-2017
Super Moderator

Judi, love the tutorial. It certainly explains a lot. I should have referenced your wonderful book. You my friend are a wonderful teacher yourself. I think you know how I feel from the TV Weekly series.....the flower child

PS XxOxxOO
Old 05-24-2017
yankee

Here is mine
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017
Super Moderator

Sheila-Rose, very nice card. I love how the colors are such a great match. It reminds me of something that was found in an old trunk and the founder was so delighted with what they have found. Nicely done.....the flower child
Old 05-25-2017
Super Contributor!

Sheila, this is a great distressed project! Thanks for doing the challenge!

April
Old 05-25-2017
Administrator

Great submission Yankee. Using the paste with the stencils and roughing everything up is fab.

Blossom...sorry I don't think the Esponge Noir technique was in my book but most certainly MaryJo has something posted somewhere. She wrote close to 10 books and has always been pretty active on her blog and FB.

BUT the bits of information in my book that might be helpful is the areas about color and composition. I'm convinced this is what pushed me into liking some of this distressed stuff. Getting the balance of layout, texture and colors was important

Okee dokee...anyone else ready to try?