Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > General Forum Info > Stamp Challenges

Old 09-09-2015
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Talking Art Journals

I am working on my very first art journal. It has been a challenge but I am finally beginning to enjoy the process. I have used rubber stamping, collage, zentangle inspired images, coloring book pages, gelli plate prints, painting (minimal) , and deli paper. Now my question to you is do you have an art journal?
If so please tell us if you are enjoying the process and what kind of journal are you making. I think I want my next one to be faces...... But I still have a way to go on this one. I am determined to finish it!
Old 09-10-2015
Super Moderator

First good for you for starting and planning to finish it. I have an Art Journal it is blank. I plan on starting but I don't know when. My fear is I don't know how to start.....the flower child
Old 09-10-2015
Super Contributor!

I don't do art journals only because they seem pointless to me, except for the art part.I have seen sooo many that just have tons of ink,trinkets etc. on them that they cannot write anything.Are you supposed to write in them? What are journals for? Maybe I have it all wrong.Finnevair .com/facebook page has lots of them but they are covered with Tim Holtz kind of stuff.Fill me in someone!! THanks!
Old 09-10-2015
Super Moderator

Well Julie,
My art journal is just art I have created and enjoy. I do not really write in mine unless it is a quote or goes with the art I created. For me it is my time to relax and try new things. Some have turned out good and a couple not so good. I mix stamping with collage items (magazine pictures). I am a neat art journaler. I can appreciate all of the trinkets/super grunge look.... but that is just not my style. Not something I would do.
Also it was a good place for me to use some of my gelli printed papers.
I did not think I would enjoy it until I got started. I am going to post just a couple of pics and you can see how I art journal. Not saying this is the right way just my way.
Old 09-11-2015
Super Moderator

Art journal examples

Some examples.
Please share your thoughts or examples. The first one just made me laugh because it is so corny or should I say okrary????? Bad pun I know.
The image is from a magazine that I added to a decorated index card I made by pressing ink pads on my craft mat and then pressing card into ink. Then I added deli paper I had used to put extra paint on to keep from wasting. After I glued it down I used a fern stamp from POSH/Judikins to mimic foliage. The large bg paper was a gelli print using a stencil. I thought it kinda represented the waves of water.

The second one is my favorite page in my journal so far. It is a stamp from Julie Nutting that I did zentangle inspired designs on. Room walls are beige rice paper and a sample piece from a wallpaper book that was given to me by a friend. Flooring is colored deli paper. Added a few flower embellishments. And text from a magazine ad. I still have many pages to fill.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015
Super Moderator

Oh yeah on the okra guy holding a sun reflector I added a piece of Crayola super glittery shiny paper to make it reflect. And Judikins diamond glaze on his sunglasses. It just made me happy and giggle.

Last edited by TerriO; 09-11-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added more.
Old 09-12-2015
Super Moderator

Wonderful! it made me giggle too
Old 09-12-2015
Super Moderator

Thanks Mary. Do you art journal?
Old 09-12-2015
yankee

I tried doing art journaling last year. It bored me to make art for me!
All the stuff I make I give away.
So I had a challenge at a local ATC group I belong to. The challenge was an altered book, were you take a real book, take out one third of the pages and do stuff to the other pages.
So I took my art journal apart, cut it up and used it on my altered book! That made me very happy!!!
Old 09-12-2015
Super Moderator

Glad it made you happy Sheila. I do remember you commenting on that in a thread I believe. It didn't sound like you enjoyed it. Everyone likes something different. I think I am enjoying it because I can do things that make me happy but others wouldn't necessarily find it to their taste. Like the okra. Also some of the Julie Nutting stamps are so large that they will not fit on a standard card. I don't scrapbook so it is a way I get to
stamp them. And also I experiment with different mediums. I like being able to work on larger areas too.
While I really enjoy ATC's , I can always incorporate them into a page.
Thanks for sharing. Anyone else out there care to comment?
Old 09-12-2015
Super Contributor!

I love your pages, Denise. The okra guy is cute! I don't art journal either for the same reason as others have said -- it seems pointless. I do love doing techniques and I make lots of backgrounds to use later on cards. I guess that is my art "journal".

Stampwilly
Old 09-13-2015
Super Contributor!

Thank you sooo much TerriO! That makes more sense to me! Your two pages are really cute! I am ordering some Gelli plates soon. Can't wait to see what they are like! I like some of the grunge look but not a lot of it and I usually like it more if there are some pretty colors from inks on the artwork. Don't like it so much with a lot of brown and black unless it is just for that one piece.
Old 09-13-2015
Super Moderator

Great pages Denise. It's nice to see your style. Nicely done.....the flower child
Old 09-13-2015
yankee

Have fun playing with your art journal TerriO. Be sure to show us. I love your style,
Your girl is cute. Art journaling is a good way to play with ideas, colors, and paints.
Maybe I will try again some time!
Old 09-16-2015
Super Moderator

Julie, glad to hear you are considering some gelli plates. I am having a lot of fun with mine. Also if you watch videos where others are demonstrating you pick up hints and learn many techniques. Gelli Arts has a you tube channel where they have demos. (I think you call it a channel or maybe I should just say videos...I don't know what alot of this techy stuff is called today.) Anyway I just searched you tube for gelli printing and found many videos. I hope to get good enough to create scenes, but right now I am doing more of the background type stuff. Don't get discouraged it takes practice. I am also looking forward to trying some stamps with mine. I have mostly been using stencils.