Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Techniques & Tips

Old 01-28-2013
Super Contributor!

Smile Masking?

Many of here @ CP have been stamping since forever. 'course we all began stamping before we crawled...

Anyhoo... Back when I began to get involved with stamping one of the first techniques I learned was masking.

I started by learning simple masking & soon added mortise as well.

How 'bout you? Do you still mask or have you yet to use the technique?

Here's a very recent piece I did. The stairs & door were each masked so I could add the rose heart 'behind' them. If I'd been crazier than usual I could have added the behind-the-doors image via a mortise mask.

Can we share & discuss?

Last edited by Daniel; 07-19-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2013
Inky Fingers

Great job, Daniel. Now you've got me wondering what's going on behind that partially opened door! LOL.

I have done some masking in my time, some more successful-looking than others. I've heard the word "mortise" before, but am not sure what that technique is. Could you fill us in?

Janet
Old 01-28-2013
Super Contributor!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaker View Post
Great job, Daniel. Now you've got me wondering what's going on behind that partially opened door! LOL.

I have done some masking in my time, some more successful-looking than others. I've heard the word "mortise" before, but am not sure what that technique is. Could you fill us in?

Janet
LOL, Janet! Doncha love half-opened doors. A friend did the photo.

Mortise masking has several different names. Some call it reverse masking. Others call it frame masking.

Regardless of the name, it is a way to do stamping that gives the illusion that one or more stamped image is within another image--like a fish bowl, bottle, etc.

You start by stamping the bowl, bottle or whatever on your material. Then you stamp it a 2nd time on your masking material. I use plain paper. Now... Just cut out the image on the paper to make a frame. Put the frame over the 1st stamped image & use other stamps to 'fill'. Got it?

See the kitten in the fish bowl? He was added by making a mortise mask of the bowl.

Old 01-28-2013
Inky Fingers

Aha! Got it, Daniel. In fact, I think I have that fishbowl stamp. I looked to see if I had put a picture of the card I had made with it into the computer, but I guess I didn't because I made it quite a while ago before I had a scanner. Oh well, when I have time, I'm going to try this technique again.

Really like the way you put the cat in the fishbowl and spotlighted him.

Janet
Old 01-29-2013
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Glad you got the idea of mortise-masking, Janet.

I think my 'fish bowl' stamp was actually a snow globe. I 'masked' off the base before inking so it became the bowl.

But that raises other ways we can use masking--to remove parts of an image when we ink the rubber. Trick is to remember to remove the mask after inking & before stamping...LOL.

And... See the dove on the tag piece? A stamping friend thot I had layered it onto a base tag. Her comment reminded me of another way to use masks...

If I had made a mask of the dove I could have placed it over the stamped image & smudged some ink around the image to create the illusion of layering--trompe l'oeil.
Old 04-14-2013
Super Contributor!

Smile

Been awhile since I shared a masked piece...

If you look at my piece for the April Recycle Challenge, you'll see I used the same lady & moon stamps for this project, but went in a very different direction for this project.

It was done for 2 challenges. One was to use an egg--shape or stamp; the other was to produce a 'mosaic' using stamping.

Here's what I did: I cut an egg shape out of copy paper. The frame was used as a mortise mask for the lady & moon (masked in the regular way). Leaving the mortise in place, I used a 'large crackle' stamp to create the mosaic look. I used a pen to reinforce some of the crackle lines & colored the images with crayons.

I removed the mortise & masked with the egg template & used a pen to outline the shape. Then I used the blossom stamp to 'build' an arch shape--masking a bit as needed. I added some penwork to reinforce the arch's shape & finished by using a punch (oakleaf) to nibble the edge into shape.

I asked Kathy to place this on black for scanning purposes. I like the results. It reminds me of Victorian 'Arts & Crafts' period for the blossom frame & the lady part looks a bit like Pre-Raphaelite painting to me.

Old 04-15-2013
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
I mask as little as possible because I'm too lazy to cut out the masks. Maybe that's why I'm not to fond of scenic stamping.
Old 04-15-2013
Super Contributor!

Very cool Daniel!
Old 04-15-2013
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

I also rarely mask. My pieces end up looking somewhat dreadful but every now and again I try again.
Old 04-15-2013
Super Contributor!

I do mask, but not a great deal. If it is a card that definitly needs it, I do it. I'm glad I know how to do it and am able to do it. It does make for a nice card. Last thing I masked was a baby shower gift of thank you notes. It was a card with many cutesy jungle animals and trees. It was very labor intensive, but turned out great. Hopefully I can use the card again.
Old 04-15-2013
Super Contributor!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsrella View Post
I do mask, but not a great deal. If it is a card that definitly needs it, I do it. I'm glad I know how to do it and am able to do it. It does make for a nice card. Last thing I masked was a baby shower gift of thank you notes. It was a card with many cutesy jungle animals and trees. It was very labor intensive, but turned out great. Hopefully I can use the card again.
I agree with you, Ann. I'm glad I know how to mask, but I do less than I used to when I first learned how. I much more apt to stamp & fussy cut the images so I can play with different arrangements before settling on one I like. The downside of that 'piecing' is that it's lots more work if I like several arrangements of the stamped parts. Then masking makes more sense to me.

Loosy. LOL on the 'dreadfuls'. We've all been there. Glad you still mask once in a while.

Kathy. Lazy? Yep. Me, too. The piece I'm now working on is going to need lots of masks. If it weren't for a swap, I'd probably not do it.

'Course there are lots of shortcuts you can use to mask without having to cut out each & every stamp image. Case in point. For some of the blossom stamping in the arch, I used some irregularly cut pieces of paper rather than cutting out the stamp image. I take a couple of post-its & cut curves, etc. Then I can use them to protect images.
Old 04-16-2013
Super Contributor!

Great piece, Daniel.

At the stamp show last weekend there was a vendor who had 'templates' for some of their stamps. The stamp shape was cut, and you had a positive and a negative. Wasn't really sure what it was for, but now I can see where you could use it for masking.

Also, with many of the stamps now available with matching dies you could cut out a mask, rather than cut out the image and layer it.

Tags
masking