Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Techniques & Tips

Old 04-21-2008
Super Contributor!

I have news for ya all... Please don't ask me where I found this info.. Because honestly I would have to search for it... But, if you want to emboss an image from the embossing folder, but just a part of it, say in the middle.. here is what i saw... They had the swirl embossing folder already as the background.. then they took the word sweet from one of the other embossing folders.. they spritzed with water on the swirl background, where they wanted "sweet" to go.. they placed the embossing folder over the background image. They used a ROLLING PIN over the word "sweet" and voila, they had the embossed image... I thought it was really cool... so I imagine if they can do this then there is our answer to how we can get images to go pretty much anywhere on our cards....
Old 04-21-2008
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Footsie180
Good info Sue! That really makes sense too! Anything that would apply pressure would work. A big thank you!
Old 04-21-2008
Super Contributor!

Thank you so much Sue! I really liked how my image came out after I spritzed it with water.Almost two-tone! Also, I noticed that when I dry embossed my colored c.stock, it kind of cracked the paper image a bit so that I could if I wanted to , gently swipe the top of the image with ink to add age to it!
Old 04-21-2008
Contributing Member

Miriam,
I think the embossing+stamping looks wonderful!
-Lisa
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

Everyone, this was originally posted in another Cuttlebug thread, but I thought we needed a thread where we could just talk about the techniques we find/discover for using our die cut machines. I titled this Cuttlebug Techniques, but you can post any die cut techs here, because they can be done with multiple machines, K?*G*

Now, THAT said, there's another technique very close to this one that I found online. I'll play with it today so I can show y'all what it looks like, but what they do is run a BUSY background through the machine (something like the swirls, textile, word folders), lightly run an ink pad over the top and let dry. THEN run that baby back through the machine, using a more open die (one that works well I think is called fantasy flowers, the one with two complete flowers and a bunch of swirly stems?), and lightly run THAT one with a different ink pad. The first embossing smooths out somewhat when you run it through the second folder, and it really looks cool!!!*VBG* Ok, gotta finish the boards so I can play with this and show you.*wink*
Old 04-22-2008
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

I've put acrylic pieces thru the cuttlebug machine and embossed and colored with stazon-ink. The ink only stays on the embossed parts. These make great embellishments and accents on cards and scrap-book pages.It is lots of fun to do...........Blossom
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

Hi Blossom.What acrylic pieces do you mean? Do you buy them or are they pieces of plastic from around the house? How thick? Thanks, Julie
Old 04-22-2008
Super Moderator

I'm sorry i didn't mention where I got them from. I bought them at clear scraps. As soon as my son gets home I will upload a sample. I'm still waiting for him to make adjustments on my computer so I can upload by myself without asking him all the time. I would say that the thickness is between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch. The piece I did is a star shape.........Blossom
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

Thanks, and I (we) will wait to see your artwork!
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

I have inked one side of an embossing folder, then run it through
Old 04-22-2008
Super Moderator

Here is the piece that I embossed I had to measure on the diagonal it's around 4". I can see this on a card with a ribbon going thru it. I'm sure you can do the same with some soft metals too.........blossom

I didn't notice with the naked eye that I got some ink on the background I guess I'm a little heavy handed any help in that area would be helpful
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

This is cool Lois -- and I think that the brushes of red ink on the background don't take away from the look at all

Thanks for the info Sue -- I have collected "just a few" embossing folders --this kind of placement will be fun to play with.
Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

Very cool looking, blossom! I love it!

I've run the thinner copper through my Cuttlebug embossing folders and then heated it to change the color. It works great. (I think I have this card in a thread somewhere, so forgive if it's a repeat.) Before I ran it through the embossing folder I used my Sizzix die to cut an oval, then ran through to emboss (otherwise the embossing would flatten). I heated it (holding it with tweezers because the metal gets hot) and after it cooled I spread some white glue across the back to fill in the gaps to keep it from depressing on the front.

Then I used my Coluzzle to cut an frame and embossed it too. I used the Coluzzle to cut the outside frame (in gold also). The stamp is by Rubber Tapestry.

Don't be afraid to experiment with the thinner metals - this was the type you get in rolls from the craft store - I think 36 gauge? If you have aluminum you could antique it with solvent inks or Brilliance inks?

Please keep sharing these wonderful ideas and inspiration!
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2008
Super Contributor!

It's just beautiful, Daylene.
I love the embossed copper, especially when it is heated.

“There are many things in life that will catch your eye,
but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.”
Old 04-23-2008
Super Moderator

Very nice effect Daylene. The heated metal gives your card a vintage look. I like it very much. I think I'll try the metal next. Thanks for the inspiration..........Blossom