Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Archive > Archive Stamping in Our Lives > Archive Stamping Stories

Old 01-11-2010
Super Contributor!

How do you use it?: Gamsol; 1/11/2010

Good morning everyone! It is Monday and time for something new here at Club Posh. We hope you enjoy it and will participate!

How do you use it? I have had some members ask how do you use Gamsol and exactly what is Gamsol?

Well, Gamsol is an odorless mineral spirit. It melts pencil lines and erases grainy appearances.
You color in your stamped image lightly with colored pencils, not watercolor pencils. Then take blending stumps (made of compressed paper) and apply the Gamsol to the tips of the blending stumps. Place the tip of the blending stump against the sponge applicator of the Gamsol bottle dampening the stump without getting it too wet. Using light pressure with circular motions, pull the color towards the center of the image.

Now, that is just the basics of, "How you use Gamsol." It is time for, you the members, to let us know how you use Gamsol. Can you use Gamsol with chalks? Can you use a blender pen to blend instead of Gamsol? Tell us "How you use Gamsol" Please upload any examples of your use of Gamsol.

We hope you like this addition to our "Challenges" and "TOTW's". We would like you, the members of Club Posh, to pm me with any ideas of, "How do you use it". Thanks, DebRN
Old 01-11-2010
Super Contributor!

I'd have to be convinced that it is something I really need. If there are before and after pictures that anyone would like to put up that would be helpful. Thanks,Julie.........I always use my blending pencil with my colored images.I wonder if there is a big difference with using Gamsol?
Old 01-11-2010
Super Contributor!

When you say it melts pencil lines, would that be the same thing as erasing pencil lines - would it be helpful in getting rid of unwanted pencil lines on documents or books, or is this primarily an art-blending medium?
Old 01-11-2010
Inky Fingers

Gamsol doesn't 'erase' pencil lines, it moves it around. It seems to work best with Prismacolor pencils. You can put some colour around the perimiter of your image, wet your stump with the gamsol and then, using a circular motion, blend out the concentrated colour towards the centre of the image and it looks like shading. I'll try to find a picture of a card I made using this method and attach it. By the way, you can buy mineral spirits at the drug store and it's cheaper than buying Gamsol.

Janet

Last edited by cardmaker; 06-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2010
Super Contributor!

janet, that is a very nice card. would it help to emboss the imiage. that would keep the ink inside the area where it belongs. i don't remember using this before. i probably have it somewhere because i used to think i needed everything.
Old 01-11-2010
Inky Fingers

Linda, there's no need to emboss the image because you aren't using ink, just the Prismacolor pencils. The Gamsol or mineral spirits is soaked into the paper stump, so there isn't any 'loose' ink lying on the paper. All you have to do is colour inside the lines. LOL. The Gamsol dries instantly.

Janet

p.s. I found that if I don't use the Gamsol for quite a while, it tends to evaporate inside the bottle! Wasted a few $ that way.
Old 01-11-2010
Super Contributor!

Thanks Janet.This is a very cute card! I now can see how Gamsol helps the colored pencils to blend so well. Like it!
Old 01-12-2010
Super Contributor!

Janet, wonderful example of the Gamsol! I also find that it works better with Prismacolor pencils too. I have also used it with chalk. I like how it blends the color, sometimes I get alittle heavy handed with the pencils and leave lines. The Gamsol helps to blend this out and I feel like a true artist, when in fact it is the Gamsol working it's magic. DebRN
Old 01-12-2010
Super Contributor!

now i remember. thanks for up dating me.
Old 01-12-2010
Inky Fingers

You're welcome, Linda.

Debbie, I've never tried it with chalk, so thanks for the tip. I bet it looks really good.
Old 01-12-2010
Super Contributor!

I love using gamsol. It is one of my favorite techniques for coloring line images. I use my gamsol in an empty bingo container. That's how I bought it about 10 years ago. I just refill it when it gets low. The bingo container has a soft cushiony top on it that I love. I use it with stumps & my Prismacolor pencils. I also have some inexpensive woodless pensils called koh-i-noor. They are great to use, but only come in 24 colors. I got them at michaels with my coupon. I like to use a really smooth paper when working with this technique. I'll see what pics I have of some of my gamsol work.
Old 01-13-2010
Super Contributor!

A new technique for me to try!!!

The gamsol technique looks wonderful! I've seen many projects but have not tried this - have just used a blender pen. What a great way to start the new year!!! ~ Wendy
Old 01-13-2010
Binder of Broken Hearts

Gamisol

I searched all the craft stores in my area and couldn't find any Gamisol. I read on another web site that you could use a form of baby oil to replace Gamilsol. I tried it and it worked fairly well, but then a friend who used to sell Avon suggested I use Skin So Soft. I tried it and it works beautifully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used itj on various kinds of pers and using various brands of colored pencils, and there are different results based on the brand of pencils and the type of papers, but it does really work.

Skin So Soft works better than the babay oil, because it doesn't leave an oily ring. I did finally find Gamilol on Amazon.com (in art supplies), but I'm not going to invest in it.

My pastor is a watercolor artist, and I got him to try the colored pencils and Skin so Soft and he had a great time with it.

I have the pencil which is supposed to smudge pencil lines, and it does work somewhat, but I'm sold on Skin so Soft. It also works on chalks.

Bonnie
Old 01-13-2010
Super Contributor!

Bonnie, I also have the blender pencil, but I don't get the same results as when I use the Gamsol. Thanks for all the suggestions. DebRN
Old 01-13-2010
Super Contributor!

Send a message via Yahoo to vangerhofer
Love using gamasol

I use it with my Prismacolor pencils but it also does work with chalk but my preference is the pencils. Here is a sample of a card I did with the pencils and gamasol. By the way, there are other brands of mineral oil but in my opinion Gamasol is the best. I considered it a great investment. Thanks for looking. Oh, the tulip image is by Sparkle N Sprinkle. Hugs, Verna
Attached Images